Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Reflection on the Past Semester

Friday was the final day of class, bringing to a close my fifth semester here at UT. Of the five, this semester stands out as the best so far. Before the semester started, I made a major decision that I knew would deeply affect my life. The decision was to stop running competitively. Running had been a big part of my life since fifth grade, when I first turned out for cross country and track. Though I didn't always enjoy the training aspect of running, I always enjoyed competing and the team camaraderie. However, this past summer, I felt like it was time to move on due to some outward and inward arrangements.

Including practices, meetings, and competitions, most Division I NCAA sports take at least 20 hours out of an athlete's week. Distance running is no different. In fact, in some ways, distance running takes more time than any other sport since there is no off-season. So I knew coming into this semester that I would have a lot more time on my hands. Of course, having entered the upper division of chemical engineering, I knew that some of that extra time would be dedicated to academic work and research. However, I also knew that despite the additional school work, I would have more free time than previous semesters. Before the semester, I consecrated my free time to the Lord in a definite way. I did not want my time to be wasted with vain or idle things. I wanted to redeem the time (Colossians 4:5, Ephesians 5:16), that it would be useful to the Lord.

Well, the Lord honored my consecration in a definite way. This semester, my time was filled with bible studies, gospel preaching, appointments with other Christians on campus, and times of fellowship in the homes of the saints. I also had the privilege of getting to know quite a few new freshmen and help them grow in the Lord. Many times, these freshmen also helped me to turn to my spirit and pursue after Christ!

But most of all, what I enjoyed this semester was praying in a consistent way with a few other brothers, who I would call my companions in the Lord. I felt like all semester, we were bearing one another's burdens (Galatians 6:2). The time we spent praying to contact God and intercede for others was definitely not wasted.

Last night, Christians on Campus had our final event of the semester - a celebration banquet. I had a chance to share about my experience with the Lord this semester. Hearing testimonies from other students about their experiences with the Lord this semester was awesome, as well. The Lord is moving on the UT campus! Praise Him!

7 comments:

p.limanjaya said...

Amen! Seems like you had an awesome semester :D

Samuel said...

Thanks for sharing your experience. The Lord is indeed worthy!

c.chan said...

OH YEAH!

Unknown said...

Wow! That's really encouraging! It's always a struggle to consecrate our time to the Lord, but He really is the most worthy One of our time and our being. And as you've experienced, when we do give our time to the Lord, He richly blesses it and is able to use it for His purpose.

Anonymous said...

I'm encouraged, brother, to hear that we all continue in these simple matters / practices of life - enjoying the Lord with the saints and praying with our companions. I also enjoyed praying with some companions - some older than me and some younger than me - and this kept me loving the Lord so much more...

Ashley said...

It is so awesome that you were able to redeem that time you would have given to running. We are in another race now, which deserves all of our time, our energy, and our whole life. :)

Leon Dean said...

That's right Ashley. We need to run with endurance the race which is set before us! (Hebrews 12:1)

Post a Comment

 
;